Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11/01

9/11/01-

I was running late for class and flew out the sorority front door only hearing the buzz of sisters watching the news. Booking it to class, cause it was actually one I wanted to go to, nothing seemed different. Almost there when I heard a familiar voice "that's my ass". Only one person in the world ever had the guts or the claim to say that. There he was, my high school sweetheart, he too was running late. I remember thinking how odd it was to see him on campus, that never happened! Call it young love or teen passion, or chemistry...I was always excited to see his face. I waited on the corner for him to catch up. His arms enveloped me as usual and a sweet kiss. I had to give him crap for taking lessons from me and running late. That's when he said it, "did you hear? Two cooks flew into twin towers". I looked at him with a blank stare, so he put it in Katy terms "the world trade center". I hadn't heard, I remember asking if everything was alright and at that point he just thought it was someone off course. We walked a bit and parted ways to make it to part of our classes.

I got to class and the teacher was still lecturing. I slipped into a seat in the back with a smile on my face, still remembering the precious few moments we had on campus. Then she stopped lecturing and explained what had happened with all 4 planes and dismissed class.

The run home was a blur...I don't remember seeing or talking to anyone. I flew through the sorority door and was smacked by the stunned silence of 50 women sitting in front of the tv mourning for all of the people already gone and those that would soon follow.

I fell to my knees and watched as a sorrow I had never known crept over me. Learning the gravity of the situation, knowing I had family in the vicinity, and the sheer magnitude of such tragedy left me speechless.

I spent most of the next 3 days watching news coverage with the sisters or at Erik's house...trying to call back east every 2 seconds. When I finally got the call that all was okay, I was in that same class that I had first learned that two cooks were actually 4 planes with a handful of terrorists that would shake our nation to the core. When my dad's name popped up, I ran out of class and then when I heard his voice, the sobbing commenced...right outside Bluemont Hall on campus.

Now I'll admit that I've always had a flare for the dramatic, but never in my life had I felt so much grief and relief in a matter of days.

In the last 11 years, I have been through a lot of life. Ups and downs and everything in between...but very few days have stuck with me in such detail as 9-11-01. Sometimes I forget to thank God for every day and every thing he has blessed me with and taken away. This day always reminds me to be grateful for the people that have helped shape me into who I am today, to learn from the circumstances that cause me to fall and to stand, and to appreciate the people here and now, today and everyday.

If you're reading this, you have touched my life forever and, present or past, I will never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment